The roots of Casabella lie in the history of Ziano Piacentino, a strip of land that is the natural extension of the vast vineyards of Oltrepò Pavese. These lands were once owned by the wealthy Montemartini family.
Count Luigi Montemartini, member of the Parliament of the Kingdom of Italy, was the first to grasp the importance of this territory, where which since time immemorial has been devoted to flourishing agricultural activities, including winegrowing.
A great admirer of the 19th century positivistic culture, Luigi Montemartini, born in 1869, opened the first communal wine cellars in the area
Ahead of the times, Count Montemartini understood that unity was the only way forward for small businesses. And with this in mind, in 1911 he started a project to create a consortium between the winegrowing municipalities of the provinces of Alessandria, Cuneo, Piacenza, Pavia and Turin, which, with contributions paid by the winemakers, set up a mutual fund to compensate for damages caused by climatic events.
The Montemartini family stopped managing the consortium in 1914. Various owners came to Casabella over time, all convinced of the quality of the production on the estate.
In 1991, a group of shareholders took over the part of the estate lying in Piacenza territory: fifty acres of land that, now as then, are the pride of the territory. Here the typical wines of the Colli Piacentini are all produced: Bonarda, Barbera, Ortrugo, Malvasia.
And this is thanks to the contribution of winemakers who prune, tie and harvest grapes of the highest quality, known throughout the world.
In 1998 the company expanded, the love for the territory of Piacenza, its history and its landscape driving a new and original scenario, yet still bound to the traditions of the past.
The purchase of the wine cellar at the foot of Castell’Arquato marked a historical blend of history and innovation. Here the aim of producing wines from grapes from the vineyards in both Ziano and Castell’Arquato became possible, and while the grapes come from the vineyards in Ziano, the production and administrative headquarters are located in the new premises in Castell’Arquato.
The Director is Gianfranco Rossi, a “Patron of Italian winemaking” for his efforts and achievements in promoting the winemaking potential of Piacenza.
His enthusiastic management, attentive to the needs of today, allowed Cantine Casabella to play an important role on the local scene, becoming more competitive on the national and international scene.